6 Benefits of Limited Ingredient Diets for Dogs
As people are paying more attention to the dietary needs of their furry friends, they are taking their pets' diets back to basics with Limited Ingredient Diets that eliminate any extra, unnecessary ingredients and help cats and dogs with food sensitivities. For those interested in maximizing nutritional benefits while minimizing risk of food allergies and other diet-related issues, LID may be the way to go.
A limited ingredient diet is exactly what it sounds like: a diet that is made up of a limited number of ingredients. If you look at the ingredient deck on traditional kibbles, you may find that the list includes as many as twenty or thirty entries. Furthermore, many of these ingredients may be difficult to identify - they either have chemical-sounding names or they are byproducts. With a limited ingredient diet, pet owners can expect the ingredients list to be much shorter and, in many cases, the ingredients used in the formula are of high quality and easy to identify. Many limited ingredient diets also make use of novel protein and carbohydrate sources.
In addition to reducing the risk for food sensitivities, feeding your dog a limited ingredient diet may offer other benefits such as:
- Reduced stomach sensitivity issues, relief from digestive upset
- Improved energy levels related to proper nutrition and nutrient absorption
- Relief from skin problems such as itching, flaking, and hot spots
- Improved digestion and regularity, fewer and firmer stools
- May have a lower carbohydrate content (depending on the formula)
- Limited number of ingredients often means no/fewer artificial additives
Pet Food Plus offers a variety of LID diets for pet owners to get the most out of the foods their feeding their furry friends. Stop in and talk with one of our knowledgeable staff members today!