Dog Articles

Autumn Safety Tips

Autumn Safety Tips

Fall, what a wonderful time - crisp, cool air, the first months of school and luscious foliage but pet parents beware fall is also a time of lurking dangers for our furry friends. Here are some tips to keep your pet snug and healthy during the autumn months.

  • It's back-to-school time, and those of you with young children know that means stocking up on fun items like glue sticks, pencils and magic markers. These items are considered "low toxicity" to pets, which means they're unlikely to cause serious problems unless large amounts are ingested. However, since gastrointestinal upset and blockages certainly are possible, be sure your children keep their school supplies out of paw's reach.
  • Fall and spring and are mushroom seasons. While 99% of mushrooms have little or no toxicity, the 1% that are highly toxic can cause life-threatening problems in pets. Unfortunately, most of the highly toxic mushrooms are difficult to distinguish from the nontoxic ones, so the best way to keep pets from ingesting poisonous mushrooms is to keep them away from areas where any mushrooms are growing. Contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately if you witness your pet eating a wild mushroom. 
  • In order to generate body heat, pets who exercise heavily outdoors, or who live outdoors, should be given more food during colder seasons. Make sure horses and other outdoor animals have access to clean, fresh water that is not frozen. 
  • Autumn is the season when snakes who are preparing for hibernation may be particularly "grumpy," increasing the possibility of severe bites to those unlucky pups who find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pet owners should know what kinds of venomous snakes may be in their environment-and where these snakes are most likely to be found-so they can keep pets out of those areas. 
  • Many people choose fall as the time to change their car's engine coolant. Ethylene glycol-based coolants are highly toxic, so spills should be cleaned up immediately. Consider switching to propylene glycol-based coolants-though they aren't completely nontoxic, they are much less toxic than other engine coolants.

Article Credit: This is from an article on www.aspca.org.  Unknown author.

Copyright © 2017 Pet Food Plus  |  Eau Claire, WI  |  Website design and hosting by First Net Impressions, LLC